John Evans Senior Front-End Developer
Previously the Senior UX Engineer at Lighthouse London, a UX & design agency. During my 5 years at Lighthouse, I worked as a front-end web developer, accessibility specialist, and project lead on teams of designers and developers.
I'm Frequently the slot-in “front of the front-end” engineer within client development teams, bridging the gap between static designs, and interactive, responsive products and websites. Within those teams I mainly:
- Lead on styling, choosing CSS tools, libraries, and techniques.
- Create tested web components, often as part of a design system.
- Upskill other team members in CSS, UX best practices, and accessibility.
- Material UI
- CMS & SSGs
- GitHub Actions
- GitLab CI/CD
- Other Languages
Freelance UX Engineer June 2023 - Present
Senior UX Engineer June 2018 - June 2023 Lighthouse London
- Worked with 20+ clients, e.g: GOV.UK, Investec, Bank of Kigali, Euromoney.
- Mentored junior developers, within Lighthouse and within client teams.
- Managed several simultaneous projects, for many being the main point of contact between Lighthouse and the client.
- Led on UI/UX within client development teams, writing the majority of styling-related code for products and websites like DT+ and Hiperpool.
- Accessibility, performance, and SEO specialist - performing audits and giving advice for products, websites, emails and more.
- Created & maintained WordPress sites like wearelighthouse.com, hlsi.net, betterbankside.co.uk, savoirbeds.com, and TinaCMS sites like ManyHands.
Digital Marketing Assistant Sep 2015 - Sep 2016 TNT (FedEx)
Computer Science (Games) BSc(Hons) 2013 ~ 2018 Brighton University
- Human computer interaction, and user experience design.
- Programming-heavy modules (C, C++, Java), testing, 3D graphics.
- Web-based games, mobile app development.
- Applied intelligent systems, neural networks, computer-vision (JS, Python).
Alton College 2010 - 2012
A-Levels in Computing, Electronics, Physics.
Long-term Linux user, with professional experience developing on and for Linux, Windows, macOS, Android, iOS. I create tiny JS games (2x js1024 winner, Js13kGames 4th place). I’m an avid Dungeons & Dragons player and GM. I build PCs, keyboards, and occasionally turn Nerf blasters into game controllers.